Monday, April 1, 2013

Bicycle Crunches and Curry Shrimp 3-Step Recipe!!


Mid-Section Monday!!!

This Monday we will focus on Bicycle Crunches. One thing I love about Bicycle Crunches is that you can do them almost anywhere. There were times when I even did about 4 sets of 10 of these crunches while laying in bed before getting up in the morning.

Recently a fitness book I was reading wrote that in their studies of the abs exercises it was the Bicycle Crunch that caused the abs to tense the most. It was (supposedly) twice as effective as the crunch for ‘crunching’ your abs.

I found this interesting and so I began experimenting with it. At first I pumped them out quickly and didn’t find them very challenging at all. However, when I slowed down the bike crunch and focused on my abs and my breathing I found that it worked quite well.

The idea is to mix both the lower and the upper abs in one exercise. You fully extend out one leg while the other is bent and you touch your opposite elbow to the bent leg as if you are doing a twisting crunch (also working the obliques). Then you repeat for the other side without taking any rest or dropping your torso back down so the whole time you are doing them your upper body is in a crunch position. Try it, It’s tough!
 

Keep it Simple, 3 Steps to Eating Clean 


What’s for dinner tonight at the Johnson’s residence?! A household favorite, Curry Shrimp Cookup!!! This is a recipe that has been passed down to me by my aunt and grandmother. There are a few variations of the dish depending on where you are from but here is my spin on it….

Curry Shrimp Dinner – Can be served with a small serving brown rice and a large serving of a steamed vegetable of your choice. I always eat my meals on the small dish plates for portioning purposes and add extra vegetables with only 1 tablespoon of rice.
 

Ingredients:

1 pound of Raw Fresh or Frozen Shrimp, shelled and deveined

2 tablespoons of Canola Oil

½ cup of Coconut Milk

3 Cloves of Garlic cut into small pieces (or you can simply use garlic powder)

¼ cup of Green Pepper and Red Pepper cut up

¼ cup of Chopped Onions

2 Bay Leaves

1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar

Simple Seasonings of your choice: Complete Seasoning or Season All/Sea Salt and Pepper

Step 1: In a non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat until hot

Step 2: Add the garlic, onions, peppers, coconut milk, bay leaves and seasoning and let that simmer for about 5 minutes or until the onions and peppers are soft

Step 3: Add shrimp, and cook 4 minutes or until opaque throughout, stirring frequently

This dish should be smooth and creamy, if you notice the mixture is a little thick add more coconut milk or a little bit of water.

Serve over rice with steamed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment